Monday, July 20, 2015

Diving in Crete

While here in Crete I took my rescue diver course.  It probably was the hardest class I've taken physically and I only actually under water for 2 1/2 minutes the entire day.

After practicing all my skills in the pool we moved to the ocean.  Lets just say the winds were blowing hard and it was a "red flag" warning for the surf, not the easiest day to do surface rescue and diving.

This is me rescuing my first "patient" from the bottom of the ocean.  It took me 2 minutes to find her during an underwater search at 3 meters. with less than 1 meter visibility.  You have to perform simulated rescue breathing and keep their head above water while towing them back to shore.  
 When you get close you have to start removing all of their dive gear and then your own, while keeping their head above water.  The waves were a bit rough so if I can rescue during this water smooth seas should be easy.
Once you get all of the gear off and then to shore,  you have to get them out of the water.
 Last is the evaluation from your instructor.  All in all a great class and I'm a certified rescue diver.  Next step is "Dive Master",

A few days later Grant took his "Adventure Diver" course.  Lets just say the seas were on his side.  No wind!
Not sure what the look means but he is ready to go.
 One part of his class was underwater photography.  This was the best specimen he saw, and what a fantastic shot.
 Although this one is pretty cool also.

After three dives and mastering buoyancy and search & recovery, Grant got his "Adventure Diver" certificate.  Advanced open water is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment